[wp-hackers] Post style buttons

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Feb 26 16:52:29 GMT 2007

Dougal Campbell wrote:

> I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think that a long time ago, in
> a galaxy far away, those quicktag buttons used to actually generate <b>
> the buttons to match. But lots of users complained that they didn't
> understand what 'strong' and 'em' meant

Then the labels were unclear and should have been rewritten. For
instance, em should be "emphasis" or "emphasize". Strong should probably
be "important". However these buttons do not necessarily make text bold
and italic, and marking them with labels everyone recognizes as bold and
italic is out-and-out misleading.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!