[wp-hackers] Post style buttons

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 16:19:56 GMT 2007

On 2/25/07, Martin Sturm <msturm10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, you want to format it differently, because it should be distinct
> from the 'normal' text, i.e. you want to emphasize it.
> Suppose there is a theme which renders text of posts by default in an
> italic font, then you would see no difference when you specifically
> marked your 'special text' as being rendered italic. The theme should
> render that italic marked text in a different font/font-decoration in
> order to emphasize it. So, in my opinion it is better to mark the text
> as emphasize and not as 'italic' or 'bold' (because the user doesn't
> want that).

But what about when the user DOES want that. When the user is citing a
source inline and they'd like to italicize the source because it
follows certain academic guidelines, that in no way means emphasis,
and it definitely does not mean "Hey theme, format me however the hell
you'd like" like strong and em do. I will agree with Doug and say that
we should probably have four buttons, strong, em, b, and i, that each
do their own thing.

As a sidenote, I'd love to have an underline button back as well.

--
--Robert Deaton
http://lushlab.com