[wp-hackers] Post style buttons

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 12:27:33 GMT 2007

On 2/25/07, Martin Sturm <msturm10 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot imagine that there is a real use case where a user wants to
> get its text italic, just for the sake of it. In 99,9% of the use
> cases, they want to emphasize their text.

I know that I, at least, always differentiate between the two.  When I
wish to emphasize words, I use "em", when I want to denote the title
of a short story, video game, movie, etc., it's "i" all the way.
Italics ARE fundamentally different than emphasis.  The argument we're
having is whether we're going to mark things presentationally or
semantically.   Right now, we're playing at semantic while pretending
we're using presentation as our benchmark, which is wrong.  I say add
two more buttons for "em" and "strong" and then convert i and b to
actually insert <i> and <b>.

--
-Doug

http://literalbarrage.org/blog/