[wp-hackers] Google Summer of Code 2007

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 18:36:07 GMT 2007

Hi,

Summer? Google Summer of Code 2007 is coming very quickly. Do we want
to participate?

If YES, we have to apply between Monday, March 5, 2007 and Monday,
March 12, 2007, which will come upon us before we know it. [1]

If we have one or more mentors, I am happy to volunteer as the
administrator. [2]

What we need to do [3]:

1. A pool of project ideas for students to choose from, publicly
published by the mentoring organization

http://wordpress.org/extend/ideas/ is an obvious place to start
looking, but that would be overwhelming for a student. We should provide
a reasonable list and expand on the ideas. The work needs to be
completable by an individual student.

     Mentors?

Possibly, already decide on mentors / owners. I can't think of a
better opportunity than an idea you are passionate about, don't have
the time to implement (a prototype of), but do have the time to mentor
someone else in.

2. Someone available to review student "blue-sky" proposals should the
student not find something appealing in the organization's published
ideas.

     Volunteer?

3. Someone available to review the incoming student applications
targeted to the organization and to decide which applications should
be accepted

I can help co-ordinate that, though I would think each mentor would choose.

     Mentors?

4. A person (or people) to monitor the progress of the students and to
mentor them as their projects progress

     Mentors?

5. A mentor ready to take over for the assigned mentor(s) in the event
they are unable to continue providing guidance to the accepted student
applicant, e.g. take a vacation, etc.

      Backup Mentors?

6. A written evaluation of each student developer, including how s/he
worked with the group, whether s/he should be invited back should we
do another Summer of Code, etc.

     Mentors?

This seems like an awesome collaboration opportunity. Other projects
had very impressive numbers of mentors and applicants last year.

Respond here or I also created a scratch pad at
http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Foolswisdom/GSoC2007

Thinking of sunny summer days,
Lloyd

[1] http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=56853&topic=10450