[wp-hackers] Getting started with the Source of Wordpress

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Wed Feb 21 12:06:52 GMT 2007

There is a great documentation available at http://codex.wordpress.org.

>  From the requirements at http://wordpress.org/about/requirements/ it's
> not really clear to me if PHP 5 is also supported.
> I know 5 is greater than 4.2, but at the bottom it says things about
> "Why not bleeding edge version ..."

WP runs perfectly on PHP 5. But it might be (for whatever reasons) that
some plugins or themes are not PHP 5 ready. Also, I experienced problems
with specific PHP 5 Debian packages from 3-party-sources. For example,
there are builds of PHP 5.0.5 and 5.2 which produce problems with the
Gettext implementation used in WordPress. Apart from this, I haven't
ever heard of problems with PHP 5, and I'm very busy at the German WP
forums.

> Maybe this is a stupid question, but unfortunately I am not familiar
> with PHP, but in Java land these things can matter ;-)

Theoretically it can be, but only in a few cases -- much rarer than in
Java land. ;)

Regards,
Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
work: http://www.zirona.com/ | leisure: http://www.roggenrohl.net