[wp-hackers] Rewrite hacking/recreation

Eric A. Meyer eric at meyerweb.com
Thu Feb 1 02:07:15 GMT 2007

    Mmm, following up on myself again.  But I figured I should
document the "fix" here, as well as on meyerweb.

At 4:50 PM -0500 1/29/07, Eric A. Meyer wrote:

>    I checked in detail and most pages and feeds seem to be returning
>200s, so that's good.  The 404-response exceptions among the feeds
>are:
>
>    <http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/rss2/summary/>
>    <http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/rss2/full/>
>    <http://meyerweb.com/eric/recent-links/rss2> (as mentioned above)
>
>The other feeds (as listed on <http://meyerweb.com/feeds/>) work
>fine and return 200s; four are WP-generated, and two are not.
>
>>     2. <http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/> returns a plain old
>>WP-generated 404.

    So in the end, thanks to an oldish post from Alex King, I found a
solution to WordPress' aggressive 404ing and thus solved both of the
above problems:  I commented out lines 35-135 of classes.php.  Now my
feeds don't return files with 404 headers, and the main page of my
archive actually displays the intended content instead of a WP 404.
Furthermore, any legitimate 404s with my WP directory trigger a serve
of the Apache-defined 404 page, not WP's.
    Since WP is meant to be used by a wide range of folks, someone
might want to look into providing a convenient hook or option or
something to switch off WP's 404 handling, or whatever it was I did
by commenting out 100 lines of a core file just to get my site
working again.

--
Eric A. Meyer  (eric at meyerweb.com)
Principal, Complex Spiral Consulting   http://complexspiral.com/