[wp-hackers] WordPress and GPLv3

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Sat Dec 29 16:02:08 GMT 2007

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> There are several hypothetical scenarios which come to mind:
>
> 	1. Patent intimidation and settlements can be used to divide
> 	and separate 'licensed' WP from 'unlicensed' WP.

This is the second message you've mentioned patent issues, and I haven't
seen a response to my initial query.  You seem to be indicating that
GPL3 will somehow help with patent issues.  Unless you mean protecting
us (devs/users) from someone like Automattic patenting things, if you
are talking about a third-party coming after WP and big WP users/devs
for potential infringement of CMS patents, how the code is licensed
won't make a difference.  So... if you could explain in more detail what
you're thinking/assuming GPL3 helps with patent issues, I'd be
interested to hear it.. ;)

-d