[wp-hackers] Re: Unanswered tickets

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Dec 20 17:59:38 GMT 2007

On Dec 20, 2007, at 10:46 AM, James Davis wrote:

> I don't think that simply posting a plain list of tickets you think
> need action is not likely to solicit the results you're looking
> for. Instead try to think why tickets have seen little action.
>
> As an example you listed #2648 which is a patch to a file that no
> longer exists. I think that one could quite easily be resolved.

I think resolving it is the point.  If it's such a slam dunk, why is
it still in Trac?  (Okay, I see that it was just resolved _today_
which kind of makes the point of having drawn attention to it.)

At the least, things should be marked "Ain't gonna", "Obsolete",
"Waiting for TinyMCE update", or whatever.  Right now many of them
are "Waiting for Godot" -- hanging in limbo -- which gives the people
volunteering their efforts the impression that they're efforts are
ignored, which is not good for the future of WordPress.

I've had a particular patch in for months now.  It would be nice to
see _some_ indication of whether anybody is even considering it.
Obviously it's not all going to be decided a day after submission,
but six months later there ought to be _something_.

I do not mean to insult any of the "higher ups" at WordPress.
Obviously there are a _ton_ of bugs submitted, and a lot of patches,
and it's a lot to slog through.  But when somebody takes the time to
write a patch, somebody, somewhere, should give some feedback -- yes,
this might be used/no it's crap/it needs work/whatever.

Regards,
Stephen