[wp-hackers] Bug Rot

Jacob wordpress at santosj.name
Sun Dec 9 21:13:32 GMT 2007

I'm not saying that the developers, testers, and bug reporters and those
that supervise tickets aren't doing a good job. They are. Really, if
anything the WordPress community needs more people to write unit tests,
write documentation, manage tickets, test WordPress.

The non-sexy stuff and the stuff people forget the names of people who
do. If every ticket had a patch, then yeah, it would be those with
commit access. I don't think the short list of those with commit access
can provide, nor should they be expected to provide each ticket with a
patch.

The point, I suppose before I went off into about three or four tangents
is the ownership of the bugs. It would be great if each bug had unit
tests/acceptance tests/reproduce steps that prove the bug exists.
However the quality of both the bug and the patch, depend entirely on
the reporter and the coder who provides a patch. In the perfect
community, those with commit access would be left to either commit
patches and develop new code. Well, at least for open source.

However, I break my own rules (in that case they would be suggestions),
so it makes sense. No blame on anyone, it was just an observation and
epiphany I came upon while looking while going over many of the tickets.

However, DD32 seems to moot my point over the past day, so cheers to
whoever that guy is.

--

Jacob Santos

http://www.santosj.name - blog
http://wordpress.svn.dragonu.net/unittest/ - unofficial WP unit test suite.

Also known as darkdragon and santosj on WP trac.