[wp-hackers] Adding phpmailer options (smtp for example)

Omry Yadan omry at yadan.net
Thu Aug 30 15:53:16 GMT 2007

Ozh wrote:

>> I think it should be in the core.
>>
>> if email doesn't work for a user, his WordPress is next to useless (he
>> wont get the initial email, and wont be able to request to change the
>> password).
>>

>> probably in a section named "Advanced email preferences", with a warning
>>

>> that the user should only change this if he has email problems.
>>

> I think the "next to useless" statement is true, however, how many users
> are concerned with email not working on their WP install? I'm not really
> into support forum, but from what I see in #wordpress, it concerns a very
> minority of people.

I don't think the typical newbie wordpress user goes to the IRC for help.
IRC users are typically more prone to solve their own problems.

> On the other hand, how many of the vast majority would get confused and
> maybe break their install after tweaking something they don't fully
> understand ?

That's why I said it should come with a warning.
> A Codex page about email troubleshooting, and a link to the plugin if it
> appears to be helpful, seems more reasonable to me. I think core stuff
> should be added when they are useful for (close to) everyone, not fixing
> stuff for just an handful of users.

I don't think it's a minor problem.
http://www.google.com/search?q=wordpress+email+problem&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a