[wp-hackers] Sharing Users/authentication

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue Aug 28 20:39:53 GMT 2007

On Aug 28, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Mark Jaquith wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2007, at 12:20 PM, Stephen Rider wrote:
>
>> The problem appears to be the "wp_capabilities" and
>> "wp_user_level" fields in the wp_usermeta table.  WordPress needs
>> these field names to match the active table prefix.
>
> This was an intentional design decision, to allow users to have
> different permissions on different blogs.
>
> Still, it might be nice to have a "unified permissions" mode
> whereby the slave installs use the master's permissions.
>
> I've opened a ticket to that end:
>
> 	http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4846

Jamie says:
> The capabilities are stored as
> {tableprefix}_{blogid}_capabilities, so it would be something like
> wp_1_capabilities.

Okay, so this is something that was implemented for WordPressMU, but
it's 1) not fully implemented, as the {blogid} in her example is not
present, and 2) it's not necessary for vanilla single-user WordPress.

I understand its usefulness for MU, but is there any reason for it to
be here in regular WordPress?  Since there is a code difference here
anyway (compared to MU), why not just remove this redundancy entirely?

That seems far simpler (and less bug-prone) than adding code to
distinguish between two options -- one of which isn't used!  :)

Stephen