[wp-hackers] Fixing Bugs

Joseph Scott joseph at randomnetworks.com
Mon Aug 27 22:34:25 GMT 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 1:04 PM, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> The number in bugs in WP has grown steadily over several years, yet
> the number of unfixed ones increasing quicker still. We need a
> release that is stable. We need a release where everything _works_.
> Can we have one release which includes _nothing_ but bug fixes.
> There are 409 open bugs according to trac (and I expect there are
> others marked as wontfix/invalid without reason). There are some
> massively annoying bugs for users, not least things like being
> unable to use IRIs in sanitised content (#4570, target 2.4).

I've poked around the IRI issue mentioned in #4570.  The function
that is eating this is clean_url() in wp-includes/formatting.php.  It
doesn't support characters outside of US-ASCII.  I didn't see and
obvious/easy/well tested solution to this issue and given the
potential risks (we have to filter URLs) this will have stay a 2.4
target at this point I think.

As Lloyd has mentioned with 2.3 a month a way we are pretty much in
full bug squashing mode so if you have some point to a ticket (or
submit) with enough information to duplicate the problem and ideally
with a little bit of research as to why and patch would be really
great :-)

--
Joseph Scott
http://joseph.randomnetworks.com/