[wp-hackers] Varnish and WordPress

Knut-Olav Hoven hovenko at linpro.no
Thu Aug 2 19:35:18 GMT 2007

In my case it is the other way around.

When using WP-Cache we got problems with Internet Explorer when redirecting
with Javascripts after manipulating cookies. The old cache was given to IE
users.

That's not the case with Varnish.

We have a lot of javascripts and feeds generated with PHP  that lives happy
lifes because of Varnish.

For the record, we use memcache and xcache too.

On Thursday 02 August 2007 21:25:35 Demitrious S. Kelly wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge varnish does not work as a content
> accelerator with wordpress. Because of the flow of information through
> wordpress blogs (last-in-first-out) the entire blog (or at least very
> large chunks of it) would need to be invalidated for every
> add/edit/delete action. Because of the mutable URI structure of
> wordpress it difficult to generate a complete list of URI/URLs that
> might have changed because of a given action. This, mixed with the fact
> that (afaik) varnish does not allow wild card invalidations, only
> specific URI/URL invalidations, makes varnish less than ideal as a
> content accelerator for WP. We're working on a project called WPCP which
> should alleviate this problem for very large shops for whom wp-cache is
> too unruly. For now, wp-cache is still your safest bet.
>
> -Demitrious
>
> Paveo Chen wrote:
> > Varnish like Squid and eAccelerator like APC,
> > that's not the same :)

Knut-Olav Hoven
Systemutvikler               mob: +47 986 71 700
Linpro AS                    http://www.linpro.no/