[wp-hackers] Taxonomy Schema Proposal

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Apr 23 21:44:16 GMT 2007

On 4/22/07, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> Mark Jaquith wrote:
> > Why not just have it stored as an option only?  It's not like there are
> > going to be a lot of them, and the default ones can be assumed.  Create
> > an API for it.
>
> Perhaps we could learn something from our roles/caps implementation
> here, and hardcode the baseline/core functionality (categories and tags)
> but allow for it to be extended with plugins, either with filters or in
> the DB as you suggested.

I think doing it through filters is too transient.
Activating/deactivating plugins could cause the IDs to shuffle.
Hardcoding the core taxonomies is fine for now, but what if we add
another core taxonomy down the road?  Its ID can't conflict with a
taxonomy ID that a plugin grabbed.  We could reserve a block of IDs
for use by core, I suppose.

Also, do we want to store some meta information for taxonomies.  For
example, a hierarchical flag that says whether the taxonomy can do
hierarchies.  For taxonomies that don't support hierarchies, we can
avoid running hierarchy specific code and queries in our generic terms
implementation.

Ryan