[wp-hackers] Taxonomy Schema Proposal

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed Apr 18 21:04:38 GMT 2007

Computer Guru wrote:
> Yep, I believe that ties in with BCNF db schema.. It's just a bit "weird"
> since WP hasn't been using this route - but this would be a huge step
> towards a proper db schema :)

For those unfamiliar with the terminology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyce-Codd_Normal_Form

Is this actual BCNF though?

> Hopefuly by using JOIN queries here we might be setting a precedent to
> further optimize the rest of WP's db-calls.

You have an interesting assumption that JOINs are more efficient. ;)

Ultimately speed is going to be a big factor in any implementation, I
hope that the 3 additional tables and related queries don't hit us too
hard on the performance side.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com