[wp-hackers] should (can?) wp-cache be adopted into the core?

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Tue Apr 17 15:49:10 GMT 2007

I didn't ever specifically say 'in its current state'. ;)  Change it,
tweak it, fix it, rewrite it.  But don't lose 'page caching' as an option.

Yes, there are problems with full-page caching.  First and foremost is
that dynamic pieces have to be executed either as a pass-through loader
(i.e., tagged as a jpg/png but actually a php file), or have to be via
client-side methods (JS/ajax/whatever).  Secondly is when to invalidate
the caching.  I didn't lose 10 minutes reading your spec, but a quick
glance of it certainly looks interesting.  (Andy, I'm removing the end
of your orig post just for length here... ;) ).

To other statements, not just andy:

I agree that moving wp-cache so it uses the object cache mechanism for
storage might be useful for those cases where you have APC/memcached.
HOWEVER, the importance of wp-cache is that it works WITHOUT those
object-cache mechanisms, on shared hosts where they're not (generally)
available.  AND, that the object-cache approach basically fails on
shared hosting (again, in the old days it actually hurt performance if
your host had well-configured mysql servers, especially if they were
separate from the apache boxes -- don't know how it performs today).

I agree it should work across to IIS, that fixes are (apparently)
needed.  However, reminder that wp-cache is the child of Staticize, so
hopefully whatever problems are there might be easier to solve for the
core team.

I don't like an approach that requires loading the entirety of WP in
order to display a page.  The whole POINT of wp-cache/staticize was to
NOT LOAD WP core, just short-circuit and dump out the cached page.

Yes, it 'breaks' dynamic stuff unless you use server/image-passthrough
or client/JS approaches (OR, use the mfunc type thing from Staticize
which has been rumored to have issues in recent wp-cache builds).  But,
not all of us have dedi servers, let alone server farms, and running
shared you need to trade off something for performance.  I learned long
ago that surviving a slashdot was more important than a sidebar thing
that changes if you refresh the page.  The basic blogger who wants
purely dynamic, wacky, elements won't generally have traffic to worry
about.  The heavy blogger probably has VPS or dedi and can put the
object cache, with APC/memcached, plus generally use a PHP bytecode
cache.  The midrange folks, without wp-cache, will quickly be
'stranded', without performance tools to tune for reasonable volume on
shared environments (which, again, can't usually, usefully, take
advantage of the object cache or bytecode caching approaches).

Just imho. ;)

-d