[wp-hackers] MySQL MEMORY worth using for an object cache?

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 11:24:18 GMT 2007

As far as I know, there isn't anything particularly wrong with using
MySQL's query caching afaik. It would almost certainly be faster than
file based caching, however there are advantages and disadvantages to
each.

The advantage of using MySQL is indeed using RAM, which is many
magnitudes faster than disk based files. The disadvantage, however, is
that you still have MySQL connection overhead, a limited number of
connections to the MySQL server, etc. On a server expecting burst
traffic or just flat out heavy traffic, its worthwhile to use the
diskbased cache instead to relieve some of the stress from the MySQL
server.

It is because of this that I'd choose APC or memcached as a persistent
object cache backend. Probably APC because there is no daemon there
either, it can be stored straight to RAM and retrieved straight from
RAM.

Might want to get someone else's opinion on this one though.

--
--Robert Deaton
http://lushlab.com