[wp-hackers] MySQL MEMORY worth using for an object cache?

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 11:11:50 GMT 2007

On 4/17/07, Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net> wrote:
> You know, with the importance of Caching, I'm surprised the MySQL team
> hasn't developed a pure-caching extension for MySQL itself.....

MySQL has a built-in query cache that can be a tremendous help when
the same queries are repeated again and again. Database servers can
have many gigabytes of RAM dedicated to this cache.

Much of what WordPress caches is exactly what it gets from the wpdb
object but the best things to cache are the most expensive--those that
take the most time to generate--and the most-often used.

Now I'm really glad you brought MySQL into this because it reminded me
that MySQL has a database engine that might work very well as a
baseline, persistent object cache. I'm almost certain it would be
faster than core's file-based cache if it were well-written. I'm
talking about the MEMORY (HEAP) engine, which may be available in
enough places to make it core-worthy. (If this is a horrible idea I
hope Deaton chimes in right away.)

If somebody wanted to bang out a client I'd really like to lend an
eyeball or two, maybe even a hand, to see if it would be an
improvement.

Andy