[wp-hackers] Taxonomy Schema Proposal

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Apr 16 16:21:03 GMT 2007

On 4/16/07, Jamie Talbot <wphackers at jamietalbot.com> wrote:
> Basically the same, except that the term_relationships and term_taxonomy tables are related by an
> integer, instead of a tuple.  We're going to have to join the two tables to get taxonomy data
> anyway, and nothing beats joining on an int.  We also only have to store the taxonomy field strings
> once.  Net result of the same amount of fields, but a bit cleaner.  Thoughts?

I had it like that in an earlier iteration, but how do plugins avoid
battling for new taxonomy ints?  A string provides less chance of
collision.  An int would be better for a join, however, so maybe we
should go ahead and add a taxonomy table that will act as a broker for
plugins to get a taxonomy id.

Ryan