[wp-hackers] A "terms" table

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Mon Apr 16 06:49:33 GMT 2007

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> Correction: we shouldn't ship something with a data schema that one
> person supports and a multitude of others think is terrible.  It's less
> about the disagreement and more about how the lone opinion is the one
> that was the determinant.

I apologize for not making enough of a case on the wp-hackers list
before, hopefully this thread puts all the thinking out there.

> In order to allow for Link and Post hierarchies to differ, we'd need two
> *_parent columns.

Links were never intended to have hierarchy, they should be flat.

> Tags can and should be cached as a
> serialized array of nicename/original-name pairs in postmeta.

Caching things in postmeta makes me uncomfortable, it seems like the
main benefit is that it's auto-loaded with posts, but then again so are
categories. Are you suggesting we move everything attached to posts into
postmeta? It also seems like it would be a waste if the object cache was
turned on.

> Yes, I agree in theory, but this wouldn't be an iteration.  It'd be a
> complete rebuild.

Which we've also done several times in WP's history, and been fine.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com