[wp-hackers] A "terms" table

Austin Matzko if.website at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 00:47:32 GMT 2007

On 4/15/07, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> Austin Matzko wrote:
> > plugin authors are going to leap on this new feature, and then
> > all their code would be broken at the next release.
>
> It would make the conversation more useful if the longer messages were
> read more closely, I cover plugin authors specifically in my original
> email on this thread. If you disagree about any points there, it would
> be good to reply directly, rather than making a false assumption on
> something that has already been discussed.

Fair enough.  I disagree with this:

On 4/15/07, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
  > From a point of view of plugin authors, they shouldn't have to
think or care if we're storing it in a categories table or a turkey,
the function they use should remain consistent no matter what we
change or gymnastics we do behind the curtain.

Take something as simple and common as including categories in the tag
cloud.  As far as I can tell, there's no way to do that with the trunk
code without querying the db directly.