[wp-hackers] Grab a seat. On Delaying 2.2, separating tables

Boris Anthony lists.permutype at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 00:17:49 GMT 2007

On 15-Apr-07, at 7:51 PM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Robin Adrianse wrote:
>> I don't agree. One of my big, BIG pet peeves of the 2.1 release
>> was that
>> link and post categories were, so to speak, "unified." If we're
>> going to
>> separate them in the UI, then we should really put them in
>> separate tables.
>
> By that argument we should have separate tables for posts, pages,
> uploads, rss feeds, rewrite rules...

just a question of where you draw the lines and why. I think most
people here agree some lines were poorly drawn. We all make mistakes. :)

--

+1 for the ongoing vote.

insofar as tagging is concerned, please don't try to reinvent the
wheel. Please check out how other systems do it. Please check out
other codes bases. Please talk to people who have done this on
monumental scales. Tags are seriously non-trivial thing to do,
especially in a scaleable way. Consider your DB schemas deeply. Plan
out what functionalities you will need and want. Please please do not
do this half-assedly. :)

The world is watching. ;)

B.