[wp-hackers] Grab a seat. On Delaying 2.2, separating tables

Pixline supporto at pixline.net
Sun Apr 15 10:52:19 GMT 2007

15/apr/07, Robert Deaton:
> I believe that we should take the time now, before a release of
> WordPress is made with these database schema changes, to fix the
> issue. I think that the categories table needs to be resplit into a
> link categories table, a post categories table, and a tag table, each
> set up to handle their own specific job instead of throwing them
> together with legacy fields.

a big and heavy +1 for me.  I'm really concerned about tags and db,
now that I've understood what didn't sound to me.

if 2.2 gets out with this db structure, it will be official; think
about the number of plugins and themes that will work on it,  and
count how many headaches will face wp-core team about backward
compatibility... Taking time and split tables will allow some authors
to write their plugins and be ready for 2.2

And the beautifulness of open source is even to have a real
explaination about delays :-)

Paolo