[wp-hackers] Page categories

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Thu Apr 12 13:58:11 GMT 2007

Robert Deaton wrote:

> No, you can't, and this is intentional. Pages are meant to live
> outside the normal hierarchy of the blog. If placed in a category they
> would have to be displayed somehow when viewing the category, based on
> time or something, which definitely does not coincide with the purpose
> of a page.
>
> If you want your pages in a hierarchy, use subpages.

I'll look at that. However what's weird is that wp_list_pages has an
include argument that is defined thusly:

  include (string)
     Only include certain Pages in the list generated by wp_list_pages.
Like exclude, this parameter takes a comma-separated list of categories
by unique ID, in ascending order. There is no default value. See the
Include Pages in List example below.

So I can specify the pages I want in a any given list by category, but I
can't put them in categories? A bit of a disconnect here.

What I want to do is assign some pages to a sidebar category and only
show those pages in the links list in the sidebar, not all the pages in
the database. Excluding or including them by individual post number is
way too complicated, and doesn't scale across more than one site.

More details:

http://www.elharo.com/blog/software-development/web-development/blogging/2007/04/12/wordpress-meetup-wrap-up/

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!