[wp-hackers] Timezone in RSS feeds

Geoffrey Sneddon foolistbar at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 10 20:45:16 GMT 2007

On 10 Apr 2007, at 21:32, Computer Guru wrote:

> OK, then you should understand fully why it doesn't matter to the
> end user
> what timezone it was published in.

The fact that I'm arguing for it may mean I've had enough users ask
to know.

> UTC is the universal base standard for times. Hence, it's only
> natural that
> it *and only it* should be in the feed.

UTC != GMT. RFC 822 allows both. We currently use GMT.

> I don't what a user would benefit in knowing what the local time
> was for the
> person doing the publishing. RSS feeds are served to the user,
> everything
> tailored to fit... So why not the timezone too?

Well, as I've said, people want the data.

> Why break standards and conventions for something as pointless as
> local TZ
> data?

What standards are we breaking? What conventions? There are no
conventions, every feed does its own thing. TZ offsets are valid
under RFC 822, so we aren't breaking any standards.

- Geoffrey Sneddon