db tables + file system directory limitations was( Re: [wp-hackers] State of WP )

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:23:24 GMT 2007

On 4/9/07, Dr. Mike Wendell <theapparatus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/9/07, Kevin McCann <kmccann at cruciverb.com> wrote:
> > - each site would have its 8 uniquely-prefixed tables. Times that by
> > 100,000 or possibly much more... anyone know if this'll be a problem for
> > MySQL?
>
> Yup.  Big problem.  Each of those tables consist of three files within
> the MySQL database so you would be looking at 2.4million database
> files.  A normal Linux directory can hold at most 32k files.  There
> are those with multi database setups but all of them are sitting on
> their solutions and not releasing them to the community.  It's doable
> but you'd have to figure how how to do it yourself.

On your own? I have limited understanding of how this works, but I
think I have seen Mu forum threads that describe in detail approaches
to do this, but you are correct, I have not seen any one reason the
code. It would seem to be a fairly trivial problem though.

If I recall correctly 64-bit nor any of the other popular file sytesm

This thread, like most most multiple topic threads, are fairly hard
for me to follow.

Cheers,
--
Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | 250-885-1744
WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com