[wp-hackers] Plugin Update Checker

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Tue Apr 3 09:51:05 GMT 2007

> Are you hosting the development of this somewhere (such as the
> wp-plugins SVN) so we can all join in?

At present i've only got a local SVN repos of it, i've not got any public
releases of code whatsoever.
Since i've put this in for a GSoC proposal, i dont know if i've been
accepted or not. (not until the 11th).
If accepted i'll be putting it up onto wp.org's plugin repos and hosting
the dev. files there, so anyone will be able to check them out while
progress is made.
If its not accepted, i'll put it up on the wp.org repos and let anyone
help out, But if its being done as a project for GSoC, my understanding is
that its supposed to be mainly the student working on the code.

> For the update checking bit the code out of my own update checker (
> www.mutube.com/projects/wordpress/update-manager/ ) could probably be
> gutted and used for the display. It checks with the data from
> wp-plugins.net rather than wp-plugins.org.

I took a look at your plugin previously, and took a few ideas from that.

> Wp-plugins.net chucks out the data in serialised variable form, e.g.
> http://wp-plugins.net/get_plugin_data.php?filter=im-online ( see:
> http://wp-plugins.net/faq.html ) which might be worth a thought - it
> avoids overhead of xml / feeds especially when you're checking
> multiple plugins.

Serialized data is a good idea actually, the XML files arnt that large
reality, but certainly add up, serialised data is much easier to convert
into readable data for PHP as well (without having to go through XML
dealing functions/classes)
Now that i know how to get the wp-plugins.net data i'll look into the
format and work around that, as well as around wp.org.

I'm uploading some screen shots of what the plugin currently looks like to
here: http://dd32.id.au/files/wp-update/
I'm only working on it when i've got some spare time right now, Uni
assignments have to get done as well! :(