[wp-hackers] Plugin Update Checker

Viper007Bond viper at viper007bond.com
Tue Apr 3 08:25:06 GMT 2007

I've been rolling some ideas around in my head for the past couple days (as
I'm usually doing) and now that some plugins are hosted at WP.org, I suggest
we make an update checker to go with it.

Some thoughts / ideas:

* have plugin authors add a new field to the plugin details at the top of
their file which lists the plugin's stub name at WP.org (ex:
vipers-video-quicktags)
* once every X weeks/days/whatevers, use that stub to contact WP.org (unless
the user has opted not to) and parse an XML document located at like
updatechecker.php?stub=vipers-video-quicktags

I don't think auto-updating is worthwhile as there's just too many server
configurations to deal with (permissions and all that crap), but a little
notice saying that a new version of so-and-so is available along with a
download link would rock I think. The XML document could contain the
download link, real plugin name, new version, etc.

Thoughts?

Sounds fairly easy and worthwhile to me and I'm totally up for helping out
or even spear-heading it if there's interest.
--
Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/