[wp-hackers] SVN: /branches/stable/

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 09:28:15 GMT 2006

On Fri, September 29, 2006 10:12 am, Ryan Boren wrote:
> Mark Jaquith wrote:
>> On Sep 29, 2006, at 1:12 AM, Ryan Boren wrote:
>>
>>> That's more of a tag than a branch.  Can't you just "svn switch" to
>>> the 2.0.5 tag when it comes out?
>>
>> Tags are supposed to be frozen... snapshots in time.  Basically a
>> revision number given a name.
>
> Exactly. :-)
>
>> I could svn switch to the 2.0.5 tag when it comes out, but that requires
>> manual intervention... not as simple as setting a cron job to svn up to
>> /branches/stable/
>
> svn copying to the same branch over-and-over doesn't work that well
> because moves and deletes are not accounted for.  We might be able to
> svn merge but that can get messy.

That will get messy and hard to track.

How about a REST webservice (as was discussed before with regard to the
Update Notification stuff to go into core which I need to update for
current trunk - see http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1476)

If we have some REST services on wordpress.org like the following:

http://rest.wordpress.org/1.0/stabletag

Which returns the full path to the current stable wordpress version tag
all this nifty cron jobs can just use that to do svn switches as
necessary.

We then would also have:

http://rest.wordpress.org/1.0/lastestversion

Which returns the version string of the latest version.

http://rest.wordpress.org/1.0/releasenotes

Which returns a link to the blog post announcing the latest version.

http://rest.wordpress.org/1.0/updateseverity

Which returns a string from the enum [critical|recommended|informational]
these are used to grade the update where security issues which are present
in a default install would be rated critical, those which require
non-default options (like for example enabling registration could be
recommended) and major version iterations would be informational.

Thoughts?

westi
--
Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>