[wp-hackers] Login issues and Logging

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 22 22:08:25 GMT 2006

> On 9/22/06, Owen Winkler <ringmaster at midnightcircus.com> wrote:
>>
>> Aaron Brazell wrote:
>> > We have a persistant problem and I can't seem to figure out why.
>> As some
>> of
>> > you know, I support 150+ WP blogs. One particular ongoing issue
>> has got
>> me
>> > stumped. A user can't login. I can login with the users account,
>> but the
>> > user can't. Neither on her PC or on her Mac. Another user can't
>> login.
>> He
>> > also uses a Mac. I can login with his credentials, but he can't.
>>
>> In case you hadn't thought of it, and off the top of my head,
>> disabling
>> cookies could cause this.
>>
>> Owen
>>

> Been there, done that. It's not cookies. We've done all the obvious
> things.
> Cookies, cache, etc. Nothing. Of course, I can't _look_ at the system
> because we're all remote, so I'm basing that on her say-so.

No plugins that I know of, and I doubt there really are for security
purposes. The best option I can think of is to back up wp-login, then add a
small section into it to write the login information to a file in a password
protected directory on the server, then get them to try. That will give you
an idea of the password and username. Try to get it so that you can put this
in and have them login in a small time frame, so that you can revert back to
the original wp-login.

I have had the same problems in the pass with MAC users. One case was the
person not entering the login information with proper case. Another was a
cookie issue. Some program they were running was preventing the cookie from
getting set and they ended up having to put the site as a trusted site (or
whatever it is MAC calls it LOL).

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net