[wp-hackers] Cache solution for WPMU?

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 03:57:57 GMT 2006

On 9/21/06, "Roland Häder" <r.haeder at will-hier-weg.de> wrote:
> Thank for all your hints. I have uploaded a little patch which will fix lots of notice messages which are normally surpressed (and they shall always be surpressed on a "productive/hot" blog) but they can be made visuable with error_reporting(E_ALL);.
>
> I want your oppinion here: Do surpressed notices slow down the interpreter while parsing PHP scripts? In my view they do. Some mails past I wrote that the interpreter needs to "handle" them by doing some analysis (e.g. undefined variable or non-exisiting object used string-to-int converting where the most notices when I debug WP).
>
> Do you share my oppinion about this matter?

PHP will do the logic whether or not the variable was defined. It
still needs to test to see if the variable was defined, and if not,
then it can trigger an E_NOTICE. Adding code to do issets() and an
extra alloc to set the variable to an empty string will be more of a
performance hit than the variable being undefined, as that is an extra
call to isset() which PHP is already doing internally before trying to
fetch the variable, and an extra alloc if its not set.

At any rate, either way, the difference is negligable, and isn't
something to MFH if you're having performance issues.

--
--Robert Deaton