[wp-hackers] Supporting ISAPI_Redirect

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Thu Sep 21 20:53:44 GMT 2006

On 9/21/06, Sam Angove <sam at rephrase.net> wrote:
> On 9/21/06, Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net> wrote:
> >
> > The only drawback is that not everyone uses it. Everyone with apache
> > uses mod_rewrite, but htis is a relatively rrare product, though it is
> > the only free implementaton of mod_rewrite for windows.
>
> WordPress should already "support" ISAPI_Rewrite if it's configured
> correctly, the same way pretty permalinks are available via 404
> handler even if mod_rewrite is disabled. Use of the `/index.php`
> prefix isn't enforced, just suggested if mod_rewrite isn't detected.
>
> I doubt very much that ISAPI_Rewrite auto-configuration will ever get
> in the core, but it should be workable via plugin -- maybe by hooking
> into the `update_option_rewrite_rules` action.

I'm not sure what you mean by that....
WP adds index.php whether you have isapi_rewrite installed or not, and
if you create a custom permalink without the index.php bit, it'll fail
to get redirected to WP for proceessing.
You have to manually create a rewrite file for isapi_redirect, and
*then* create a custom non-index.php permalink structure for it to
work same as on linux.....

--
Computer Guru
Founder