[wp-hackers] Cache solution for WPMU?

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed Sep 20 07:30:21 GMT 2006

Roland Häder wrote:
> @Matt: How many plug-ins have you installed to test your blog software? I have more than 20 plug-ins installed (see here: http://blog.mxchange.org/system-infos/ ) and it's painfull slow. Lots of SQL queries are slowing it down and even the filter-system (still execelent piece of software!) is slowing down my blog. I have generation times around 20 secs. This is definedly to slow.

No one can vouch for the collective quality of 20+ plugins.

> BTW: Have you read my entry in forum? Its here:
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/81860?replies=57

Looks like a good example of why development topics are probably better
for the mailing lists.

> I will upload my latest changes very soon to my blog so you can download it soon. Please read my entry in forum first. :-)

If you mean the $wpdb cache changes, I don't think this would be a good
candidate for core. Even when not hitting the query cache, WP's queries
are usually less than 5% of its total execution time unless something on
the DB end is really badly configured or there is an unusually high load.

Far more time is spent in the compiling and execution of PHP, which is
why things like APC give such a huge boost in performance and something
like wp-cache which prevents most of WP from loading performs great.

> Thanks a lot. I will try them out. I have found some core functions anyway which can be accelerated by caching. More in a minute about this.

There is a built-in caching system in WP. It's not turned on by default
anymore because the performance boost was insignificant and it caused
lots of support errors. You can enable it in your wp-config.php file.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com