[wp-hackers] giving original plugin author credit when altering code

Scott Plumlee wp-hackers at plumlee.org
Tue Sep 19 15:17:07 GMT 2006

Is there a de facto/approved/agreed upon/'hey, that works!' method for
giving an original plugin author credit when extending his/her plugin?

I've got a couple of plugins that I love to use, but I sometimes make a
couple of changes to them to tweak them exactly as I want.  I don't know
if I should create a new plugin based off the original and give credit
somehow, or just patch the plugin whenever a new version from the
original author comes out.

Any preferences from plugin authors on the list? I've read this:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_a_Plugin#Plugin_File_Structure, so
I'm wondering if adding some sort of 'Original Plugin Name' line to give
the correct credit.