[wp-hackers] My Kingdom for a Drop-down list!

Mike Purvis mike at uwmike.com
Sun Sep 17 16:16:38 GMT 2006

On 9/17/06, Jamie Holly <hovercrafter at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >MANAGE > POSTS
> >I would KILL for a drop-down list in the CATEGORIES column so that I could
> >edit the post categories in that panel rather than having to go into each
> >individual post and edit the cats there and save.
>
> http://uwmike.com/wordpress/wp-cats/

I'm the author of that plugin, and yeah, it sounds like pretty much
what you're looking for.

As far as I'm aware, it's now quite stable... the only big outstanding
request I've heard from a few people is to have an option for
cascading categories, and only loading sub-categories on the click.
(for those crazy folks with dozens of them in a big snarly
hierarchy...)

As for implementing in core, I'm another one of those big bad nasties
that would rather keep the core simple and just clean up and ship a
bunch of default plugins if it's felt that such functionality is
critical. I'll be the first to admit that the JavaScript in WP-Cats is
more than a little awkward; if such a thing were to end up in core, it
would need a once-over. (I'd rather see *all* Ajax enhancements done
in such a way that they're fully implemented via the plugin
interface... which should be possible given enough markup hooks and
REST-y methods)

Mike