[wp-hackers] RTE

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 22:39:34 GMT 2006

On 9/16/06, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
> An RTE is an essential core feature.  WP is worthless to most people
> without an RTE.  tinyMCE is our RTE, and it is tightly bundled by
> default.  If those on this list are unwilling to help make it better and
> want to drop in something of their own instead, hijack the filters that
> tinyMCE uses.  If we need to add filters anywhere to make this easier,
> send a patch.

I disagree. If WP was worthless to most people without an RTE, 1.2 and
1.5 would have been nowhere. Granted, it is a feature that many would
miss if it disappeared, however dropping it from the core into a
plugin that is bundled, officially supported, and activated by default
won't make a bit of difference to normal users. But for those of us
who want it gone, it makes all the difference. (For someone who said
you can disable it and delete the files, try hosting a multi-person
blog, where one user tries to reenable the option and wonders why
nothing happens. Just deleting the files isn't a solution. The bit in
the profile cannot be removed without output buffering the whole page,
which is nasty.

> I'll reiterate Matt's request.  Write specific bug reports to help make
> tinyMCE better.  Invest some time in making tinyMCE better for all of
> the people who rely on it. As it is, the only people who really
> contribute to its improvement are wp.com users.  Contribution from those
> on this list would be a welcome change.

I think one of the fundamental problems with Matt's request is that
99.9% of the people on this list wouldn't want TinyMCE whether or not
it functioned perfectly, catered to their every whim,  and functioned
dually as their personal sex slave. I remain +1 for moving it to a
plugin, and still implementing whatever else you'd like.

--
--Robert Deaton