[wp-hackers] Thoughts on Ultimate Tag Warrior

Sam Angove sam at rephrase.net
Sun Sep 3 07:34:53 GMT 2006

On 9/3/06, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:

> Perhaps a better question would have been: For folks using the WP
> "thing" in a tag-like on-the-fly manner, are there things we could do in
> the interface or template functions we could provide to make that easier?

One of the strengths of tags over categories is creating ad hoc
hierarchies with tag joins of various kinds (so "wordpress AND
community" is like a child-category of either "wordpress" or
"community"). I can't remember if this is possible in the core or not.
If it is, there's still no exposed UI for navigating such hierarchies
-- for example, a link from the "wordpress" category archive page to
the "wordpress AND community" category archive page.

It'd also be nice to have:

* A template function to get a list of related tags. (That is, other
tags used on the same posts as the tag being viewed.)

* A template function to display a tag cloud.

* A simple text input for free-form tagging on the post screen. Even
better if it can do some Javascript tag autocompletion and
autosuggestion magic. And doubles as a pony.

* A way to see on the post screen how often you have used certain tags before.

* A template function to display a list of posts using similar tags.