[wp-hackers] Thoughts on Ultimate Tag Warrior

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sat Sep 2 21:21:32 GMT 2006

Computer Guru wrote:
> *Especially* if you have a tech-related site (my example is the
> NeoSmart Files), tags are a godsend. With something new everyday, it
> just doesn't warrant the creation of a category.... which _seems_ to
> be a bigger deal because it's a part of the core of WP's
> functionality. For me, I used to have a trillion different categories
> with one post each, but now I have 4 general categories, a couple of
> subs, and a million tags.. my load has gone DOWN although readership
> has gone UP... not sure what that's all about, but I have 6 million
> hits a month, and NeoSmart's tag pages are some of the most popular..
> so I dunno...

The category table has some stuff in it that is not needed for a tag,
but it's not a lot.  I use cats as tags (actually I'm pretty lazy about
using either). I type comma separated lists of tags into the Category
box on the Write Post screen and never bother with the Manage Categories
page.  Nor do I bother with the Cat checklist on the Write Post screen.
  I just type tags into the Add box.

How many folks use both cats and tags?  Adding a "type = cat|tag" field
to the categories table or introducing a new tags table is easily done,
but the UI is the hard part.  Having both concepts exposed on the Write
Post screen would be confusing.  Perhaps only expose Cats and let people
use them as either cats and tags use a plugin for those who want to both
categorize and tag.

Ryan