[wp-hackers] Putting mod_rewrite rules in httpd.conf

Scott Plumlee wp-hackers at plumlee.org
Fri Sep 1 18:24:29 GMT 2006

I know there was a recent discussion about .htaccess files here.  My
question, somewhat related, is whether it would be possible to make WP
honor rules in httpd.conf versus using .htaccess files?  I mentioned
this once on the support forums, and was properly reminded that not
everyone has access to the main configuration file for apache.  But if I
do have access, would this gain any performance increase, and is it even
possible?

Recommendation from Apache:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/howto/htaccess.html#when

Basically they say use .htaccess if you don't have access to the config
file.

Possible? Desirable as an option only, not the default (ain't broken,
don't fix it)?