[wp-hackers] WP Mod_Rewrite Explanation

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Fri Oct 27 22:18:10 GMT 2006

On Oct 27, 2006, at 4:37 PM, Computer Guru wrote:

> The way I see it, it says "Redirect all requests to index.php"
>
> But then how does index.php have any idea what was called? Is it using
> Request_URI in there (ugh!)?

WordPress has an internal rewriter... so yeah, it directs all
requests to index.php and figures it all out from the actually
requested URL.  We used to have both mod_rewrite rewriting and
internal rewriting for PATHINFO permalinks, but there were
inconsistencies in behavior.  Moving to the internal rewriter has
really been a big help.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/