[wp-hackers] Re: [spam-stopper] New plugin version

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Thu Oct 19 19:22:27 GMT 2006

Sebastian Herp wrote:
> I'd weight Akismet very low, because it is external. It simply has not
> as much information about the comment as I (meaning my webserver) have,
> so it can only be a rough filter or a last test if other tests don't
> lead to a clear decision, but nothing perfect (Akismet still does not
> recognize a minimum of 2 spams a day on my blog).

If you send me your blog URL I can look up your exact stats, but unless
you are getting tens of thousands of spams per day 2 getting through is
really unusual. When I see reduced effectiveness like that, it's
generally because of an external factor, like another plugin overriding
the response, bad network connectivity on the server, or not enough data
being sent to Akismet, for example if a plugin as not sending everything
to Akismet. (The more comments it gets from a blog, the more effective
it becomes.)

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com