[wp-hackers] WordPress comments, Yahoo!UI and Prototype addiction

Russ Gilman-Hunt (YAR) gilmanhunt at comcast.net
Tue Oct 10 15:12:19 GMT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:56:30 -0400
"Doug Stewart" <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've noticed that WP coders, developers and plugin devs seem to have a
> real thing for Prototype and its derivatives (Script.aculo.us, moo.fx,
> etc.) and have largely given the Yahoo! UI and JS libraries a pass.
> First question is: why?

(snip)

I worked with the Yahoo UI libraries for about three weeks, designing a
wordpress theme and some other pages.

My personal stopping point came when I was trying to make it 'look
right' on IE and on FF displays. I don't care if they look the same or
not, but some of the IE problems I had were just ugly. I went from
there to trying to validate the HTML and CSS with the W3 consortium
parsers. At the end of the day, I was spending as much time on it as if
I had tried to build it myself, and so the overhead of the libraries
seemed to be overkill.

Prototype, etc, I have an easier time implementing and having it look
non-ugly.

 Russ Gilman-Hunt
http://www.arghwebworks.com/
gilmanhunt at comcast.net