[wp-hackers] 120-day release cycle

Lloyd D Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 19:57:13 GMT 2006

On 10/2/06, Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> > Unless  I  misinterpreted  something, I think  Elliotte  was
> > referring  to  the  need for constant  vigorous  development
> > where  testing  milestones are reached and future  extension
> > carries  on  simultaneously  (not only  bugfixes  for  older
> > supported  releases). A bit like stable and unstable Debian,
> > or  even  the  Kernel Mm tree that is maintained  by  Andrew
> > Morton.  I  suppose  that Fedora and RHEL would  be  another
> > example...
>
> Yes, that's correct. The main example I was thinking of was
> Firefox/Mozilla. I don't think work on new features necessarily needs to
> stop just because the upcoming release is in lockdown mode.

These approaches are responses to need in those projects. For example
the needs of QA and localization to get their work done after
development has completed, a developer to work on something that will
not be ready for months, or a marketing team that needs releases to
launch in favorable market conditions.

Lets demonstrate the need before planning the perfect project.

Having as much of the development community focused on a release is
often the best way to get that release done and move on to working on
the next fun thing.

Thank you,
Lloyd

PS. Linux distributions are generally poor comparison points because a
large part is its role as a publisher of other projects, and its
dependencies on those other projects schedules.