[wp-hackers] Re: Changing MySQL minimum version

Trevor Turk trevorturk at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 21:31:53 GMT 2006

On 11/29/06, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> Sub-queries are pretty rough in 4.1, they're really not fast until
> 5.0/5.1. It's just blog software, we don't really need anything that fancy.

Trying to get back to the point (this thread isn't about Wordpress
being slow, or about moving up to PHP 5) I'm wondering what this
comment from Matt means.

It sounds like the support for 4.1 isn't really that much different
from 4.0, but I still like the idea of having sub-query support, and
I'm listening for any reasons as to why choosing 4.0 would be any
better. If it's a simple "the lower the version number the better"
kind of answer, that's cool.

I agree with Viper007bond, though - isn't having a slower than ideal
implementation of sub-queries better than none?

Is there a compelling reason to choose 4.0 over 4.1?