[wp-hackers] Improving WordPress' Performance WAS Changing MySQL minimum version

Komra Moriko komra at design4results.com
Thu Nov 30 20:23:40 GMT 2006

Hi Ryan,

Using 2.04 (2.1 not ready yet, right?)

These are the ones I added, made a huge difference in performance --
we have 17000 posts and fairly heavy traffic.
I checked my slow query log, and used EXPLAIN to examine what was
going on and added indexes for columns referenced in where statements:

CREATE INDEX cat_name ON wp_categories (cat_name);
CREATE INDEX post_date ON wp_posts (post_date);
CREATE INDEX post_date_gmt ON wp_posts (post_date_gmt);
CREATE INDEX post_status ON wp_posts (post_status);

Additionally, I have hacked the WP admin interface to make it more
usable, adding more metadata to to the list of posts, and adding a
browse category drop down and a separate Drafts page. Don't know if
these can be incorporated into the new version, or if other UI
optimizations are already taking place...