[wp-hackers] 2.1 branch

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Sun Nov 19 01:11:59 GMT 2006

___/ On Sat 18 Nov 2006 21:33:16 GMT, [ Peter Westwood ] wrote : \___

> Stefano wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:53:11 -0800, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
>>
>>> Let's branch 2.1.  We're trying to drive 2.1 to an RC worthy state.
>>> Meanwhile, there is some new development in the pipe that shouldn't go
>>> into 2.1 but needs a home in SVN.  That can go into trunk once the 2.1
>>> branch is created.  Sound good?
>>
>> Can be done... but with more than 300 tickets open for 2.1 there is
>> time and resources for new stuff for furture versione to play with?
>>
>> Putting 2.1 on branch will make world waiting for 2.1 be realesed in a
>> month or so.. is this the planned timeline?
>>

> Branching and finishing 2.1 sounds like a good idea.
>
> We do need to target a release soon.
>
> We may not have enough time left for a pre-christmas release - afterall
> we don't want a christmas release like last time ;-)
>
> Maybe we should aim for a date mid Janurary?

My voice won't count much, but it's probably better to make it
progress-driven (e.g. testing/feedback, number of bugs pending) rather
than deadline-driven. Promises lead to pressure and disappointment,
which in turn leads to poor(er) and sloppy(ier) code. I can vividly
remember last year (2.0). Matt decided to release within a few days of
notice and the outcome wasn't too pleasant. I was in the forums over
Christmas and there were many different bugs in the code. It wasn't
truly ready for 'prime time' and its quality was in par with a beta
rather than an RC or 'stable'. The frustrating experience left me to
ditching the forums (among other factors).

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU/Linux  |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E