[wp-hackers] echobig and TinyMCE, and themes/categories

Ian Barber ian.barber at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 09:35:11 GMT 2006

Hi All,

I'm a bit new to the list, so apologies if this stuff is covered elsewhere,
though I did try a search or two. I have two issues that I wouldn't mind
hearing thoughts on, both apply at least to wordpress 2.0.5 .

1) I encountered a weird issue on my blog that turned out to be due to echo
choking when passed more than a certain amount of data. The file in question
was the optimised version of TinyMCE that gets echoed in
wp-includes/js/tinymce/tiny_mce_gzip.php. I worked around this with
something similar to the echobig function mentioned in the comments in
http://php.net/echo, and when I noticed that I saw there were claims this
kind of splitting of big echos actually improved speed.

While I suspect whatever buffer my host has set too low is usually not  a
problem, I wonder if it's worth using something like echobig to echo out the
particularly large files, like tinymce, and generally making it available?

2) For no particularly good reason I wanted a certain category of my blog to
appear under a different theme, but I noticed that theme choosing is done
before the post detail is populated. I was wondering if there is a technical
reason this couldn't be moved to after the db querying, so that some of the
post information would be available to theme choosing plugins without having
to duplicate work?

Thanks!

--
Ian Barber