[wp-hackers] Moved from BlogWare to WordPress - Need Help

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Sat May 20 04:51:05 GMT 2006

___/ On Sat 20 May 2006 04:45:30 BST, [ Chris Pirillo ] wrote : \___

> Howdy Happy Hackers,
>
> I've now become one of the WordPress faithful, and have been enjoying the
> experience so far. Just found a killer edit-in-place plugin at
> http://www.headzoo.com/downloads - with a little style tweaking, you'll be
> flying.
>
> I come to you this evening with a hacking help request. In my travels, I've
> discovered this bit of code for the 404.php. The problem is: BlogWare URLs
> do not contain keywords. :P BlogWare URLs do, however, contain date strings
> similar to those found in WP URLs. So...

This comes to show that WordPress is more SEO-friendly and URL's make
arrival at pages more rhetorical.

> http://chris.pirillo.com/blog/_archives/2006/2/23/1780165.html
>
> is now at:
>
> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/02/23/googlefasting-day-1/

I notice that both are broken at the moment.

> Could this be rewritten (and shared, for other frustrated ex-BlogWarers) to
> identify the date range from the old BlogWare URLs, then pop the visitor to
> the date archive page for that day? Sure would save me a bit of transition
> frustration.
>
> <?
> $search_term = substr($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'],1);
> $search_term = urldecode(stripslashes($search_term));
> $search_url = 'http://chris.pirillo.com/index.php?s=';
> $full_search_url = $search_url . $search_term;
> $full_search_url = preg_replace('/ /', '%20', $full_search_url);
> $full_page = implode("", file($full_search_url));
> print_r($full_page); die();
> ?>

Have  you  consider  taking  a different approach  altogether?  Trying  to
re-write  URL's  for totally separable CMS's is hard. You might be  better
off  producing  XML sitemaps using one of the free tools from  SourceForge
(for  ststic  pages). There is a plug-in for WordPress which does this  as
well.  Then, redirect (at server-level) with error status 301 from the old
URL's  to the new ones. You still need to manage one-to-one page mappings,
but  worry  not...  you will not lose Googlejuice... nor will you  have  a
reason to fast. *smile*

Hope it helps,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Falsity implies anything
  5:40am  up 22 days 12:37,  11 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.46, 0.62