[wp-hackers] semantic web features?

AJ Chen canovaj at gmail.com
Fri May 19 20:36:56 GMT 2006

There are plenty of discussions about what semantic web is or is not.  Those
are fun to read, and I'm not going to try to make it more confused. But, I
do want to say how I approach it.  I believe the web can become even more
effective for data sharing and consumption if the data are also published in
a more structured way that computer can easily understand and thus process.
An example is blog feed using RSS1.0, which is in RDF format. Semantic web
is evolving rapidly.  It will make sense to most people when it hits one
killer application that has broad impact to the world.

>From where I stand, I focus on solving specific problems using semantic web
approach in combination with any other technologies that are required.  The
problem I'm trying to solve is that researchers don't have an easy-to-use
publishing tool to publish their studies in a RDF or ontology they choose.
Since wordpress was initially built with the semantic publishing concept in
mind, I would think it should be an ideal platform to implement more
advanced semantic publishing functionality.  This feature is intended for
the research community (for example, researchers in the life sciences sector
where I work ),  not for general users.

It's not difficult to imagine different plugins can be developed for
different groups of users who require different ontologies to describe their
parts of the world.  This direction would be a good thing for wordpress, I
think.  I'm learning more about wordpress design and code now in order to
have the specifics for implementation.  I would appreciate any light you can
shed on this topic.

Best,
AJ