[wp-hackers] do pages and posts make sense?

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Thu May 18 20:01:04 GMT 2006

On 5/18/06, Andy Staines <andy at yellowswordfish.com> wrote:
> Andy: worthwhile it might not be but that shouldn't dispense with the
> fact that it is an oft-requested feature on the forums. And wouldn't
> not including categorised pages in category post lists just be
> another parameter to the tag..?

There is no doubt that these suggestions can be implemented. The
reason I say it's not worthwhile is that it's a half-baked idea.
Somebody says "Let's categorize pages" and that's great, that's a seed
of a new feature set, but it's missing all of the important details:

What problem are we trying to solve? Or is this just a solution
waiting for a problem? How should it change the user interfaces, both
admin and public? What else will be affected? And many more. So this
is the point where one or two of the following will happen:

* Nobody has any idea about the details.
* This thread grows with ideas and arguments until it composes enough
rope to hang everyone involved but nothing actually gets done.
* Somebody has a bright idea and codes it.

My only reason for responding, despite remaining in camp #1, is that I
hope somebody will turn this half-baked idea into something
worthwhile. That remains to be seen.

Andy